Safety and Security

Due to the Regional boundary dissecting Lac des Roches, there have been instances of confusion for the dispatch of emergency services. Typically, residents of the east end of Lac des Roches and Birch Lake, which are in the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD), will be serviced from Clearwater. The residents of the central and west end of Lac des Roches and Little Lac des Roches, which are in the Cariboo Regional District (CRD) will be serviced out of 100 Mile House.


Call 911 for a security emergency. Many residents of Lac des Roches are members of Rural Crime Watch and Citizens on Patrol (COPS) and may be involved in the telephone network of reporting suspicious persons or activities. In addition to the formal patrols by COPS and the RCMP, we require the diligence of neighbours watching out for neighbours as we live so far away from emergency services.


Call 911 for a medical emergency. Although it can take up to 50 minutes for an ambulance to travel to Lac des Roches, several members of the Interlake Volunteer Fire Department, who are fully trained as First Responders, live nearby and may be able to respond immediately until the ambulance and paramedics arrive.

Residential Fire

Call 911 for a fire emergency. Lac des Roches is services by the Interlakes Volunteer Fire Department, which keeps a fire truck and emergency response equipment at the community of Bridge Lake. Many of the trained volunteer firefighters live at Lac des Roches and will respond to the call before the fire truck. Funding for the fire department is currently by voluntary annual residential fire fees, as it does not receive Regional funding.

Forest Fire

To report a forest fire, call 1-800-663-5555. In addition to the information you are able to give about the size, type and approximate location of the fire, we have learned that land coordinates assist the spotter planes that are dispatched from elsewhere in the province. As a guideline, Eagle Island in the middle of Lac des Roches is at 51° 28′ N, 120° 34′ W.

Power Outage

Since Lac des Roches is at the “end of the line” and our electricity demands are minimal, a power outage isolated to our area may not be detected by B.C. Hydro. Residents should report all power outages as per the criteria and instructions of B.C. Hydro at 1-888-769-3766. Extensive power outages that last more than 2 days can affect the phone service on the Bridge Lake Exchange (593) as the switch has limited battery backup in the event of a power outage. Although cellular phone coverage in our area is spotty, most residents claim to get a signal at certain areas of the rest stop and near the end of Cottage Country Estates road, above the rest stop.